working together, we’re working better...
Jantela Partnerships was set up to provide regional co-ordination and support to the work of locally based refugee and migrant voluntary sector organisations.
Jantela means "umbrella" in Amharic (one of the languages spoken in Ethiopia). It was chosen to represent the work we do as an “umbrella” organisation, bringing together groups across the region.
Our partner groups offer a range of services to refugees and asylum seekers. See our partner’s page for more details.
Our partnership Groups
- Share ideas
- Keep up-to-date with information
- Solve problems together
- Share resources
- Improve client access to services
- Raise standards
- Have a stronger, united voice – bringing attention to the issues facing asylum seekers and refugees.
- Combine their campaigns to better influence policy makers.
Create a supportive network for members working within this challenging field.
How we began
Jantela was founded in 2007 by a partnership of five organisations
- Northern Refugee Centre (NRC)
- Leeds Asylum Seeker Support Network (LASSN)
- Bradford Action for Refugees (BAfR)
- Refugee & Asylum Seekers Advocacy Project (RASA)
SOLACE – Surviving Persecution & exile
New funding was secured in 2009 from the Big Lottery Fund and today we have grown to become a group of 14 partners.